The Kitchen is often referred to as “the heart of the home,” and it’s not difficult to see why. Your kitchen is the place where you make meals and memories with the ones you love. When it comes to such an important room in your house, a renovation can completely transform your daily life and significantly increase the value of your home.
A remodel gives you the chance to create the kitchen of your dreams with updates and design features that cater to your specific needs and personal style. Keep reading to learn some helpful tips for your kitchen remodel in Portland.
Initial Planning for Your Kitchen Remodel
It’s a good idea to start by assessing your current kitchen. What do you like? What don’t you like? What’s working for you and what could be improved? What’s missing? Asking yourself these questions can help you narrow down what really matters. Consider making a list of wants and needs for your new space and ranking the features that are most important to you.
Then, it’s time to start gathering inspiration and developing a design vision for your kitchen remodel. This process can be really fun and creative. It’s a chance to get well acquainted with your personal style and interior design tastes. Here are a few great places to start:
- Read up on the most popular kitchen design styles: From contemporary to traditional (or a blend of both with a transitional style), there are a variety of gorgeous kitchen styles to suit any personality.
- Check out materials and paint colors at your local home-improvement store: This gives you a chance to hold up paint swatches against your favorite flooring, countertops, or backsplash options and see what you love and what you don’t.
- Look at photos, and lots of them: Magazines, blogs, and designer portfolios are great places to get inspiration for your ideal kitchen!
- Create a vision board: Whether it’s a physical bulletin board with your favorite photos, colors, and materials or a collection of dream kitchens on Pinterest or Instagram, a vision board is a great way to consolidate your ideas.
Understanding the Average Kitchen Remodel Cost in Portland, Oregon
Any type of major home renovation is going to come with expenses. Understanding all the associated costs and budgeting accordingly will be essential to a successful remodel.
Ultimately, there are many factors that will impact the total cost of your remodel, such as the size of your kitchen, quality of materials, level of design complexity, labor requirements, layout changes, and more.
Here are a few ways you can budget for your project successfully:
- Create a budget and make sure you stick to it.
- Make a list of needs and wants and prioritize important features.
- Review this list of itemized costs for a typical kitchen remodel so you can see where your money is going.
- Include an emergency fund in your budget so you’ll be prepared for unexpected setbacks.
- Factor in any indirect expenses (temporary housing, eating out, etc.).
- DIY certain simple tasks like painting or minor demolition.
Choosing the Right Contractors for Your Kitchen Remodel
Look for Local Portland Contractors
When it comes to remodeling your home, working with large companies with a national presence isn’t always a good idea. Portland is a unique city with its own climate, culture, architectural history, local building codes, permit requirements, and business practices. Local companies like L. Evans have the specialized experience, expertise, and connections that you’ll want to take advantage of during your kitchen remodel in Portland.
Do Your Research
Hiring a contractor to work in your home is a big deal. It’s important to get information from more than one source when vetting and selecting contractors. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Meet with a few different companies and get several bids.
- Make sure they can complete work on a budget and schedule that works for you.
- Review each contractor’s portfolio of previous work.
- Read their customer reviews and testimonials.
- Look into credentials and awards.
- Ask about experience with any specific features that are important to you; examples may include energy-efficient appliances, aging-in-place, smart-home features, or specific design styles.
Establish Effective Communication
Clear, comfortable, and honest communication is one of the most important things to look for in a remodeling contractor. Make sure you work with people you trust and that you feel comfortable expressing concerns and asking questions. The final results of your project are extremely important, but so is the experience you have during the design and construction phases.
Navigating the Remodeling Process
Remodeling your kitchen involves several important steps and a lot of moving parts. While expecting the unexpected is always helpful when it comes to remodeling, there are some steps you can take to make sure your project goes smoothly.
It’s also always a good idea to discuss the phases of construction with your contractor in advance so you know what to expect and what’s expected of you as the homeowner.
How To Prepare Your Home for a Kitchen Remodel
While a good contractor will take steps to prepare the site and protect your home and belongings during construction, you can help prepare your home and family. Here’s how:
- Decide if you’re staying put during the remodel or temporarily moving out.
- If possible, set up a temporary kitchen prior to packing up.
- Empty your cabinets, pantry, refrigerator, and any other storage areas.
- Label your boxes!
- Keep any items you might need (such as snacks or silverware) in an easily accessible place.
- Secure any important items, like artwork or precious china, in a separate area.
What To Expect During a Kitchen Remodel
We use our kitchens every single day. That’s why making sure you love the results of a kitchen remodel is so important. It’s also why the remodeling process can be so frustrating. Be prepared for some disruption to your daily routine during construction, and always communicate with us if you have a concern or question.
At L. Evans, our design-build process is designed to be streamlined, flexible, and minimally invasive when it comes to impacting your daily life. We ensure a company owner, project manager, or lead craftsman is present on site to ensure your home is safe and secure and all your questions get answered.
Tips for Cooking During a Kitchen Remodel
The average full kitchen remodel in Portland can take anywhere from 4-7 months total. While you can rely on take-out to a certain extent, most people will still want to make some of their own meals.
If you have an outdoor kitchen or a temporary kitchenette, then the solution can be as simple as transporting ingredients and small appliances. You can also ask a friend or family member if you can use their kitchen a few times throughout the process to make some easy meal-prep recipes to save and enjoy!
Post-Remodel: Enjoying Your New Kitchen
Once construction is complete, the final step of your kitchen remodel is a final walk-through. This is your chance to inspect the final work and raise any final questions or concerns.
It’s a good idea to use this opportunity to ask your contractor any questions you have about how to maintain your new kitchen and ensure it stays beautiful and functional for years to come. For example, do your countertops require any routine treatments or sealants? How often should you get inspections on your appliances? Who should you contact if something breaks.
Finally, don’t forget to take time to sit back, relax, and enjoy your gorgeous new kitchen! You’ve earned it!
Get Your Dream Kitchen Remodel With the Experts at L. Evans Design Group
If you’re ready to upgrade your kitchen and add value to your home, our amazing team at L. Evans can provide you with a comprehensive, personalized remodel. We work with homeowners in the greater Portland area to design and construct transformative home remodels from start to finish.
Schedule your kitchen consultation today!
Contact us today to get your questions answered and schedule a consultation!